[FreeNX-kNX] Re: NX 4 not free.

Chris Fanning christopher.fanning at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 15:33:22 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad <
joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 January 2011 12:40, brian mullan <bmullan.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Chris
> >
> > Yes, NX 4.0 is being closed sourced.
> >
> > But there are still a variety of NX clients out there that will continue
> > work with FreeNX.  Remmina is very good example.
>

> > There are also some great alternatives that implement both an NX server &
> > client side apps such as x2go.

It's the nxlibs that are the problem.
x2go server uses the nx libs (correct?). And to build an nx client, you also
need the libs right?

That means that x2go cannot move to nx4 which is very bad news for them to
be stuck with ageing core libraries.
Clients like Remmina won't be able to connect to nx4 servers.(A good reason
for them (and others) to eventually drop nx support)
And we can expect that nomachine will also stop active development with 3.x
clients, so bugs there won't be getting fixed either.

neatX is another loser.
Maybe google will fork and continue development with the libraries. Is that
our only hope? (because I wouldn't know how to develop the libs to save my
life).

http://it.slashdot.org/story/10/12/21/2354254/NX-Compression-Technology-To-Go-Closed-Source

Chris.