[FreeNX-kNX] Re: freenx server + NoMachine client - black window after disk clone

Brian Keen brian_mk at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 14:23:31 UTC 2010

Ok - I think we have finally found a solution.

I searched the internet for the warning message I mentioned earlier

"Cannot open ConsoleKit session: Unable to open session: Failed to execute program
/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success."

Other users have also seen this problem and it appears to be related to another issue:-

If you try and access the "Users & Groups" or the "Time & Date" configuration menus, then a message "The configuration could not be loaded" appears. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1022421

We also saw these problem on the cloned PC.

I was unable to find a solution to the above so I decided to try ugrading to all the latest packages on the cloned machine.

Unfortunately after doing this, the PC would no longer boot into KDE!

We eventually discovered the contents of /usr/X11/default-display-manager were incorrect:-

It contained "/opt/kde3/bin/kdm" but should have been "/usr/bin/kdm". (we don't have kde 3 installed).

I can only think that the file was changed as part of the package upgrades.

After correcting this issue and rebooting, everything now works as it should:-

The ConsoleKit warning no longer appears.

The "Users & Groups" and "Time & Date" menus now work without the "The configuration could not be loaded" message.

NX now connects properly and runs KDE.

I am still unsure why we did not see the problems on the original PC we cloned the disk from.

My suspicion is that the fault is timing related and that slight differences in the hardware on the two machines caused one to hit the problem.

Thanks to all for the replies while trying to crack this.

Brian.