[FreeNX-kNX] Segfault on connecting to :0

Olivier Sannier obones at free.fr
Fri Sep 24 19:43:04 UTC 2010

  Hello,

I have a Mandriva 2010.1 x86_64 system onto which I had installed NX
Server from NoMachine.
This setup is much too unstable with respect to keyboard as it changes
layout between connections, it repeats keys that I have stopped typing,
keeps Ctrl or Shift pressed despite me releasing them.

So I decided to give a try to FreeNx and proceeded as such:
Uninstall the RPMs from NoMachine
Install the RPM (and its dependencies) from the Mandriva repository

I then ran nxsetup --install and used the default values. There were a
few warnings, but it said that the install succeeded.
The installation has a message at the end which said to copy the private
key to the windows machine which I did.

Going back to my windows based PC, I started NxClient (3.0.4) and tried
to connect to the server.
The connection went through and the list of available sessions is shown.
Strangely, there are two in there. I selected the first one, but using
the second one does not change the behavior.
After that, the "NX" red logo is shown full screen for a brief instant
and then I get an error dialog box saying that the connection got
interrupted.
On the linux host, I have the following lines in /var/log/messages :

Sep 24 18:23:39 server sshd[26877]: Accepted publickey for nx from
10.10.10.1 port 1333 ssh2
Sep 24 18:23:40 server sshd[27048]: Accepted password for obones from
127.0.0.1 port 44369 ssh2
Sep 24 18:23:48 server kernel: nxagent[27706]: segfault at 2c ip
00000000004a86c0 sp 00007fff6297dfc0 error 6 in nxagent[400000+4cc000]
Sep 24 18:23:50 server sshd[27050]: Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1:
11: disconnected by user

Apparently nxagent crashes right after I select the running session.

This is a running KDE session that I can interact with perfectly when
using the keyboard and monitor on the linux host itself.

I have searched the list and the web but could only find solutions for
issues reported back in 2007 which I believe are already incorporated in
the version I have (0.7.3)
Any issue reported earlier than that (2009, 2010) seem to not have
gained any solution.

Does anyone have any idea what I could try?

Regards
Olivier