[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX-kNX Digest, Vol 73, Issue 6

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 11:55:49 UTC 2010

there are 2 possibilities for you regarding a web portal for NX

NoMachine's own Web
Companion<http://www.nomachine.com/download-companion.php?os=linux>

which I've used.   It works well with FreeNX server.   However, it has had
the same problem with audio that regular NX has because it still uses ALSA
instead of PulseAudio for sound.

Perhaps NoMachine's new NX 4.0 will finally support PulseAudio but I've not
seen that yet nor do I know if their "new" portal plugin (not the one
referenced above) will.

Personally, I found x2go and have been using it ever since.   Sharing
drives, printers, etc is easy and audio works great.
x2go <http://wiki.x2go.org/start> is getting ready to release a major update
that includes a web portal (ie a java plugin) and its available now and
works very well.

NOTE:   the x2go site I reference above does not talk about the soon to be
released version or the plugin... for that you might want to join the very
active x2go user
forum<To%20subscribe%20or%20unsubscribe%20via%20the%20World%20Wide%20Web,%20visit%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/x2go-dev>
** Also note that x2go clients will not connect to FreeNX or NoMachine NX
servers as x2go provides its own server-side software

However, you can find the x2go web portal plugin
here<http://wiki.x2go.org/x2goplugin>
.

x2go uses the NoMachine NX transport protocol libraries but everything else
on the server and client side was designed by
them and works very well.   Its easy to setup especially for just one person
but they have a multi-server/cluster setup also.

And if its just your own remote desktop...
Remmina<http://remmina.sourceforge.net/>is
*very hard to beat*.    It supports VNC, NX, RDP etc. will auto-map share
directories/printers etc.   Its got great performance and when needed
excellent RDP support for Windows servers.

With Remmina's NX support you should be able to connect to a FreeNX server
but I've not tried that yet myself... it should work tho'

Brian