[FreeNX-kNX] NX WebCompanion with FreeNX

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 11:27:55 UTC 2010

Hello everyone.

I have a challenge that's driving me almost up the wall. I hope
someone can help. I've installed and configured NX Web Companion on my
FreeNX server. It's working, but it keeps forgetting the session
information, such as hostname, screen resolution, connection speed,
etc. Actually, it forgets everything. This is very annoying, since it
means that users have to configure the client every time they wish to
login.

This is what I've done:

* I use Ubuntu 10.04LTS 64Bit.
* Installed sshd
* Installed LAMP
* Installed FreeNX Server from PPA, version:
0.7.3.git100327.e224628-0~ppa7~lucid
* I'm using the default keys and the nx user.
* I installed NX Web Companion from Nomachine, version: 3.4.0-3
* I copied /usr/NX/share/plugin to a public area of my webserver and
made it rwx for www-data (recursively)
* Using Nomachines NX Client, I created a session which I configured
with hostname, and everything else. It does not remember password.
* I copied that sessionfile to the /plugin/session/ directory as
"demosession.nxs". It too is readable by www-data.
* I configured /plugin/nxapplet.html to use demosession.nxs.

Now, when I point my browser to the nxapplet.html file, the applet
loads, nxclient is installed properly, and the login dialog is
displayed with my local username as the default. I change it to my
remote username, enter the password for it, and click "connect". Then,
the connection settings dialog appears. I have to manually enter
* hostname
* desktop: Unix > GNOME. ADSL is default, which is fine.
* display resolution (I want fullscreen).

Why does this happen? It's terribly annoying and I can't find any
reason for it. I've read the installation instructions carefully and I
think I'm doing everything the way it should be done, but still no
joy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jo-Erlend Schinstad