[FreeNX-kNX] Reboot server

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Mon Jun 14 11:49:57 UTC 2010

"olaf-linux at gmx.de" <olaf-linux at gmx.de> wrote on 10/06/2010 09:34:43:

> Hi Chris!
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.06.2010, 10:17 +0100 schrieb chris at ccburton.com:
> > If I was you I'd send them all a message and then end their sessions
> > before
> > shutting down.
>
> That's not possible in my case, the users are not working in an office,
> they need the computers only a few minutes a day, go away, come back to
> computer, go away, again and again. They are "anywhere" the hole day.
>
> But ok, if there is no other solution, how can I end their sessions?

something like . . . .(run as root)

/etc/init.d/freenx-server stop
echo "The server will shut down in 2 mins, Please save your work and log
out"|wall
sleep 180
/usr/bin/nxserver --force-terminate "*"
sleep 180
init to-whatever

Note
 Suse don't supply the freenx-server script, so you have to download it
and insserv yourself.

The shutdown delay after the message should be longer than the autosave
time you set in Open Office (or whatever you use) if you don't want users
to lose their latest edits . . .

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ