[FreeNX-kNX] Sabayon/xnest and FreeNX

olaf-linux at gmx.de olaf-linux at gmx.de
Fri Jun 11 22:43:03 UTC 2010

Hi!

Am Donnerstag, den 10.06.2010, 16:02 +0200 schrieb Henning Heinold:
> There is an entry run Application(last point I think), type there your command to start icewm,
> you could use starked here to test it or /usr/bin/firefox.

Thank you for advices.
You are right, I have take a look at icewm, it looks really useful for
thinclients with restricted menues. The menues based on textfiles with
good descriptions, I have build a nearly perfect menue this afternoon.

All looked/worked fine in a session from another computer with a normal
desktop + session over nomachine-client, where I configure menue,
taskbar, .. settings.
But then, after finished configure the icewm-desktop, I started a real
thinclient: thinstation-image -> pxe -> thinclient -> nx-session with
nomachine-client.

And this does not work correct, there is shown the menue-panel of icewm
(taskbar), but no real desktop. The mouse is a cross-symbol instead of
an arrow on the desktop. I can start the applications in icewm from the
taskbar (over taskbar the mouse is an arrow), but there are errors with
invisible parts:
when opening applications to full screen, after that I'm not able to
click them down again to a normal short window.
And resize a window to a smaller one, close the window, and opening the
window (application, like openoffice and others) again, the window is
big again (instead of formerly small), but only the part in the range of
the former times smaller window is visible on the screen.

But I think the thinstation mailing list is the more correct place for
this problem.

> > or
> > running your applications rootless,
> > which means they just appear as applications on the user's desktop.
>
> You could setup each client connection to offer this ONLY particular
> application
> Please recheck clients options... you will find:
> Configure -- settings -- Run the following command ... on this box you will
> put Your_OWN_APP

I've got a notion that this is not useful for me, because I use
thinstation without desktop, as pxe-boot-file, it starts automatically
nomachine-client (-> login) and starts a desktop-session from/to server.

Bye
Olaf