[FreeNX-kNX] Blank Screen Failure - X & K Running Fine

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Thu Mar 26 18:46:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 07:49:16 -0700
Info at quantum-sci.net wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 March 2009 15:45:35 Terje Andersen wrote:
> > Latest self-compiled?
>
> Actually I've resorted to the latest NX binary deb package from Nomachine.  Still a blank client screen.

okay, you're not running FreeNX then, but NoMachine's "NX Free Edition".

> > nxnode on the server, I think.
>
> Ya, there are several files named this.  Dumbly they always say the filename, but not which one to edit.

Well, those fixes apply to the FreeNX Server (which nxnode is a part of) and can't be cross-applied onto the "NX Free Edition". On my system (Ubuntu + Ubuntu FreeNX Team debs) I have only one nxnode file.

> > These links might help you understand the concepts, they are mostly similar in FreeNX:
> >
> > http://www.nomachine.com/documentation/intr-technology.php
> > http://www.nomachine.com/documentation/intr-components.php
> > http://www.nomachine.com/documentation/admin-guide.php
>
> Thanks, I'll study them.  Seems like you always have to learn -everything- about -everything- before you can do -anything-.

No, I don't agree, but if I understand you correctly, you have previously used FreeNX then installed "NX Free Edition" ontop of this one, which complicates the situation and creates new errors.

> > Could you please enable log level 5 &  no session cleaning in the node.conf, then please provide logs from both the ~/.nx/<session-id>/(session and errors files) both on the server and client, and lastly the /var/log/nxserver.log files? This might help someone to help you :)
>
> I edited /usr/NX/etc/node.cfg and set:
> SessionLogLevel = "5"
> SessionLogClean = "0"
> ... and restarted the NX server.  Tried to open a session again and the same thing of course.
>
> I guess the directory you're referring to is:
> C-localhost-1011-5AE45DF3184EC921C0F9FB9FB38E290B/
>
> In that is clients, which might be a logfile:
> _XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
> _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/cygnus:1011
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
> error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
> Running /etc/profile
> Running ~/.profile
> Running ~/.bashrc
> Running /etc/profile
> non-network local connections being added to access control list
> KDE seems to be already running on this display.

Looks like the kde startup session file might be wrong, look in node.conf for potentially changing this (but I might be wrong, as I don't use the "NX Free Edition" myself). In FreeNX there is a setting that defines which kde session file to use.

> ... errors is empty, options seems irrelevant, and session has this:
> NXAGENT - Version 3.3.0
>
> Copyright (C) 2001, 2007 NoMachine.
> See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.
>
> Info: Agent running with pid '5030'.
> Session: Starting session at 'Thu Mar 26 07:35:33 2009'.
> Info: Proxy running in server mode with pid '5030'.
> Info: Waiting for connection from '127.0.0.1' on port '5011'.
> Info: Accepted connection from '127.0.0.1'.
> Info: Connection with remote proxy completed.
> Info: Using WAN link parameters 768/24/1/0.
> Info: Using agent parameters 5000/5/50/0/0.
> Info: Using cache parameters 4/4096KB/16384KB/16384KB.
> Info: Using pack method 'adaptive-9' with session 'kde'.
> Info: Using product 'LFE/None/LFEN/None'.
> Info: Using ZLIB data compression 1/1/32.
> Info: Using ZLIB stream compression 1/1.
> Info: Using cache file '/home/carl/.nx/cache-kde/C-9253B8F460FD8177F0FD0C98E258$
> Info: Listening to X11 connections on display ':1011'.
> Info: Established X client connection.
> Info: Using shared memory parameters 1/1/1/4096K.
> Info: Using alpha channel in render extension.
> Info: Not using local device configuration changes.
> Session: Session started at 'Thu Mar 26 07:35:34 2009'.
> Info: Screen [0] resized to geometry [1672x964].
> Running /etc/profile
> Running ~/.profile
> Running ~/.bashrc
> Running /etc/profile
> non-network local connections being added to access control list

As far as I can understand, this log looks fine.

> ... I just get a blank screen on the client and on the server the popup saying KDE is already started on this display.

My advice is:

1) to remove _all_ NX libs and all FreeNX/"NX Free Edition" parts.
2) decide what you want to use (read the constraints in NX Free Edition contra FreeNX)
3.1) Use the "Quickstart guide to FreeNX" doc I wrote in 2008 and learn a little about FreeNX (look at the FreeNX FAQ/WIKI for link to it)
4.1) Use the Wiki/FAQ to compile the nxlibs yourself, and install the FreeNX Server (if you decide to use FreeNX). This, because there is no debs for Debian (IIRC). It's not hard, and isn't time consuming.
4.2) If not, install NX Free Edition from NoMachine (faster install).

This should weed out any conflicts/previous errors.

Regards,
Terje