[FreeNX-kNX] xfce4 desktop not showing

Ben Taitelbaum ben at reframeit.com
Tue Mar 17 15:31:57 UTC 2009

I've seen a few previous posts (from a couple years ago) about similar
issues, and of course as I was typing up a detailed email explaining
my problem (and testing with Xnest), I figured out what was the issue
with my setup, so maybe others will find this useful.

Everything was working beautifully, except I couldn't see the desktop
in xfce4 (no background image, no folders, can't right click).
I first saw the black background with nomachine's logo, then the
splash screen came up, then xfce4 would be loaded, with a black
desktop with nomachine's logo in the middle. If I ran a command like
"xsetroot -bg white", then nomachine's logo would goe away, but the
desktop would still be black.

It turns out I didn't have the dbus service running, so starting that
solved my issue.

additional info:
server: 0.7.3_p102
OS: gentoo (2.6.21 xen x86_64)
wm: xfce 4.4.3  (/usr/bin/xfce4-session, also tried startxfce4)

Here's the error I saw when trying to launch xfce4 through an Xnest
(DISPLAY=:1 SESSION_MANAGER=    xfce4-session)
which would show a garbled image as the desktop background.

** (xfwm4:11136): WARNING **: The display does not support the XRender
extension.

** (xfwm4:11136): WARNING **: The display does not support the XRandr
extension.
process 11140: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed
to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No
such file or directory
See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
   D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
process 11145: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed
to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No
such file or directory
See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
   D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace

Cheers,
Ben