[FreeNX-kNX] freenx and real X-session

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 05:14:04 UTC 2009

Mario Becroft wrote:

>> I suspect that my question was asked many times befor but I could not to find any answer at google.
>>
>> I have real X-session in my work desktop (gdm to login + icewm). I lock my desktop by the xlockmore and go
>> home. At home I try to connect to my work desktop by nxclient. Always I get new session or suspend this new
>> session and then I can detouch it back. But I want to get into my real X-session is it possable ? How ?
>>
>> I tried to use shadowing but it does not work or it is not what I want. I find at google and docs that I
>> should use KDE or Gnome to get their session detouched but I do not want use this heavy DE :-). I need to use
>> my usual desktop enveroment.
>
> When you use nx, you either create a virtual display that you login to,
> or you directly run an application. In both cases, this has nothing to
> do with any existing X server that might be running on your machine, and
> so will be completely irrelevant for accessing your existing session
> running locally on the machine.

I thought that a new feature in 7.3 was the ability to shadow existing
sessions, including the one on the console.  I've been able to get
multiple connections to an independent freenx sessions, but have not
succeeded in connecting remotely to the one on the console.

> There are two ways you could achieve what you want:
>
> 1. When locally on your machine, always run nxclient and login to a nx
> session instead of directly using the X display on the machine. Then you
> can login to this same nx session remotely.
>
> 2. Continue to run X locally as you are now, and use some special
> software to mirror the display remotely. The easiest way to do this is
> probably with a tool called "x11vnc" (google it). In theory nx's session
> shadowing feature could be used for this, but it does not provide a way
> of actually doing this as normally configured.

Is there a way to configure so this does work?

> 3. The third way is actually the same as 2., but if you are using Xorg
> as your local X server, there is a module directly providing a VNC
> server mirroring your local screen. This works like 2., but will be a
> bit faster. You could look up on the web how to configure this feature.

I've had trouble with this in the past, but it seemed to be related to
the real hardward driver and perhaps has been fixed recently.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com