[FreeNX-kNX] ADVICE: How to try out FreeNX

John Ford jford at iup.edu
Thu Jan 22 15:50:53 UTC 2009

Mr. Franz:

I have been attempting to get FreeNX running on Debian Lenny, needing
more than two users allowed.  (Hence, the NoMachine server isn't
suitable for me.)

I went through an installation process involving downloading a number of
files and adding the directory of those files to my apt-sources, and
eventually installed FreeNX-0.6.  But it wouldn't work, always crashing
with "cannot stat /var/lib/nxserver/db/running/sessionID...." showing in
the client (NoMachine's client) window.

I googled and found this error common, but few hints and no solution.

Turns out (in my case, at least) it is because the default install
creates /var/log/nxserver.log - but apparently doesn't make it writeable
to the nx user.  I found out accidentally, when I changed the error
logging from "0" to "6" and decided it'd be good to change the log
permissions, just in case.

I'm telling you because I think SOMEBODY who understands how to
communicate this kind of information ought to know.  I'm new to Linux
and <think> this may be of use, but have absolutely no idea of the
"correct" place to share this.

I apologize for the intrusion on your time.  Thank you for your efforts
at supporting open source software.

Sincerely,

John Ford
Associate Professor of Chemistry