[FreeNX-kNX] Port 5000, FreeNX vs VirtualBox

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Sun Jan 4 02:33:15 UTC 2009

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 23:01:13 +0100
Verner Kjærsgaard <vk at os-academy.dk> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> On SuSE11 running FreeNX and SUN's VirtualBox, I have this scenario...
> FreeNX server and Virtual box bothrunning. VirBox started, no guests
> running.
>
> I can connect to the host box using a NoMachine client.
> If I do so and start a virtual machine, all is good.
>
> BUT if I start a virtual machine (guest) FIRST and THEN try to connect
> to the host (not to the guest) using a NoMachine client, I get:
>
> Error from nxserver.log:
> Error: Call to bind failed for TCP port 5000. Error is 98 'Address
> already in use'.
>
> Output on the host from #netstat -apn | grep -i listen:
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5000            0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN      4088/VBoxHeadless
>
> As can be seen there is a conflict between the two systems, both
> fighting for port 5000. Now the odd thing is, if I (as mentioned) start
> the NX connection FIRST,then things work (for that session).
>
> Can I make NX use another port, as I don't seem to be able to have
> VirBox use another port?

I don't remember the portnumber exactly, but as grep of the nxserver script reveals:

 $ cat /usr/bin/nxserver | grep 4000
	let PROXY_DISPLAY=$SESS_DISPLAY+4000

If I remember correctly, you should just change the display nr in node.conf to something like:

DISPLAY_BASE=2000

which would change the port number 5000 to 6000. I might be wrong here (late in the evening :p), but worth a try.

Please add this to the FreeNX Wiki (see bottom of this mail) if it works, or other solution, so other running VirtualBox might find this information easy.

Regards,
Terje