[FreeNX-kNX] Port 5000, FreeNX vs VirtualBox

Verner Kjærsgaard vk at os-academy.dk
Sat Jan 3 22:01:13 UTC 2009

Hi list,

On SuSE11 running FreeNX and SUN's VirtualBox, I have this scenario...
FreeNX server and Virtual box bothrunning. VirBox started, no guests
running.

I can connect to the host box using a NoMachine client.
If I do so and start a virtual machine, all is good.

BUT if I start a virtual machine (guest) FIRST and THEN try to connect
to the host (not to the guest) using a NoMachine client, I get:

Error from nxserver.log:
Error: Call to bind failed for TCP port 5000. Error is 98 'Address
already in use'.

Output on the host from #netstat -apn | grep -i listen:
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5000            0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      4088/VBoxHeadless

As can be seen there is a conflict between the two systems, both
fighting for port 5000. Now the odd thing is, if I (as mentioned) start
the NX connection FIRST,then things work (for that session).

Can I make NX use another port, as I don't seem to be able to have
VirBox use another port?

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards

Novell Certified Linux