[FreeNX-kNX] Problems when connecting to a FreeNX server through a Sunray session

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Thu Feb 5 13:19:49 UTC 2009

Andy Malato <andym at oak.njit.edu> writes:

> The output from xdpyinfo is below :
> number of supported pixmap formats:    2
> supported pixmap formats:
>     depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
>     depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
> screen #0:
>   dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (361x289 millimeters)
>   resolution:    90x90 dots per inch
>   depths (1):    24
>   root window id:    0x29
>   depth of root window:    24 planes
>   number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
>   default colormap:    0x21
>   default number of colormap cells:    256
>   preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215
>   largest cursor:    64x64
>   current input event mask:    0x420000
>     StructureNotifyMask      PropertyChangeMask
>   number of visuals:    4
>   default visual id:  0x23
>   visual:
>     visual id:    0x23
>     class:    TrueColor
>     depth:    24 planes
>     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
>     red, green, blue masks:    0xff, 0xff00, 0xff0000
>     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

The rgb subfield order is opposite what it is on my Linux systems. It is
also unusual in supporting only 2 pixmap formats. Sadly, I have no idea
exactly why nx is broken in this configuration or how to fix it.

Since most people are probably running Linux, they may not have noticed
the issue that occurs on Sunray. As nobody else has suggested anything
yet, I don't think you will get any help. You could try purchasing a
support ticket from nomachine, but there is no guarantee that they will
be able to help you.

It is probably fixable, if you want to get into some heavy debugging. It
could be a lot of work though.

If you are desparate to get nx working in some form, you might find that
running it in something like vnc or xpra within the sunray session might
isolate it from the particular pixmap format of the sunray, working
around the problem.

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>