[FreeNX-kNX] taskset and multi-core

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Wed Feb 4 00:24:45 UTC 2009

Ralf Anderson <ralf.anderson at gmail.com> writes:

> Has anyone successfully run freenx on multiple cores using taskset?
>
> When running 3D graphics applications, nxagent sometimes consumes 100% of a cpu
> on the server. So I'd like to get nxagent running on several cores.
>
> I tried setting USE_PROCESSOR_TASKSET and COMMAND_TASKSET in node.conf, but it
> didn't make any difference.  (I did verify that taskset is installed on the
> server).
>
> One thing I'm not clear on is whether taskset can distribute a single task
> (such as nxagent) over several cores, or whether it simply assigns one task per
> core?

You can't run one nxagent on multiple cores, as it is
single-threaded. You can of course have one user's nxagent on one core
and another user's nxagent on another core (this will be done
automatically by the OS scheduler).

If you have a single user who needs more performance, your only option
is to beef up the CPU--or find a less brute-force approach to solving
the problem.

For example, what sort of 3D application is it? Is it using GL? If it,
you could benefit greatly from using 3D graphics hardware. You might
like to look at chromium.

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>