[FreeNX-kNX] Opensuse - After server reboot, the first login fails . . .

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Sun Dec 6 15:19:56 UTC 2009

Holger Krull <holger.krull at gmx.de> wrote on 26/11/2009 14:39:48:

> yossarianuk schrieb:
> > It works absolutely fine, until I reboot.
> >
> > Then every single time I have to try to login (and fail) 3 times, then
on
> > the 4th login to works, then anyone can login - freenx will then be
100%
> > fine until the next reboot.
>
> I don't have a solution for you, but i can confirm that you are not
> alone with this. I'm running Suse 11.0

I think this is just a timeout loading nxagents libraries during the first
run.

Suse don't provide a startup script, but here's one which runs agent at
startup and loads all the libraries before any users try logging in and
nxnode
times them out.

It isn't AGENT_STARTUP_TIMEOUT it's the agent failing to do something.
Looks like it can't manage its own libraries properly.

#!/bin/bash
#
# Sample startup script for FreeNX server
#
# Coypright (c) 2007 by Fabian Franz <freenx at fabian-franz.de>.
#
# License: GNU GPL, version 2
#
# SVN: $Id: freenx-server 485 2008-03-02 10:29:52Z fabianx $
#
# /etc/init.d/freenx-server
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:             freenx-server
# Required-Start:       $ALL
# Should-Start:
# Required-Stop:
# Should-Stop:
# Default-Start:        3 5
# Default-Stop:
# Short-Description:    Clears up the mess and enables NX logins
#                       Makes sure environment is clean for NX sessions
#                       Enables ssh key logins for user nx
#                       Pre-loads nxagent (for libraries)
#                       NOTE:-
#                       Does not start any daemon processes
#                       stop:-
#                       Disables nx logins
#                       Terminates all running sessions
### END INIT INFO
#
# Shell functions sourced from /etc/rc.status:
#      rc_check         check and set local and overall rc status
#      rc_status        check and set local and overall rc status
#      rc_status -v     be verbose in local rc status and clear it
afterwards
#      rc_status -v -r  ditto and clear both the local and overall rc
status
#      rc_status -s     display "skipped" and exit with status 3
#      rc_status -u     display "unused" and exit with status 3
#      rc_failed        set local and overall rc status to failed
#      rc_failed <num>  set local and overall rc status to <num>
#      rc_reset         clear both the local and overall rc status
#      rc_exit          exit appropriate to overall rc status
#      rc_active        checks whether a service is activated by symlinks
. /etc/rc.status

# Reset status of this service
rc_reset

# Return values acc. to LSB for all commands but status:
# 0       - success
# 1       - generic or unspecified error
# 2       - invalid or excess argument(s)
# 3       - unimplemented feature (e.g. "reload")
# 4       - user had insufficient privileges
# 5       - program is not installed
# 6       - program is not configured
# 7       - program is not running
# 8--199  - reserved (8--99 LSB, 100--149 distrib, 150--199 appl)
#
# Note that starting an already running service, stopping
# or restarting a not-running service as well as the restart
# with force-reload (in case signaling is not supported) are
# considered a success.

# Read the config file
. $(PATH=$(cd $(dirname $0) && pwd):$PATH which nxloadconfig) --

case "$1" in
        start)
                echo -n "Enabling FreeNX Sessions . . ."
                [ ! -d "/tmp/.X11-unix" ] && mkdir -m1755 /tmp/.X11-unix/
                $PATH_BIN/nxserver --cleanup &>/dev/null
                $PATH_BIN/nxserver --start   &>/dev/null
                # Run nxagent to pre-load the libraries and avoid timeouts
                $PATH_BIN/nxagent &>/dev/null
                # Success or failure - it's all the same
                rc_failed 0
                rc_status -v
        ;;
        stop)
                echo -n "Disabling FreeNX Sessions . . ."
                $PATH_BIN/nxserver --stop    &>/dev/null
                $PATH_BIN/nxserver --cleanup &>/dev/null
                rc_failed 0
                rc_status -v
        ;;
        *)
                echo "Usage: $0 <start|stop>"
        ;;
esac
rc_exit

As root

        Copy into new file /etc/init.d/freenx-server

        chmod 755 /etc/init.d/freenx-server

        insserv freenx-server

in case anyone doesn't know how to set it up.

This should stop the first session failing, and clear up any mess

left over from other problem sessions which suse obviously don't

think is worth the effort . . .

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ