[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX + Web Admin Tools

Florian Schmidt fschmidt at gmx.at
Thu Oct 16 13:25:45 UTC 2008

Hi,

> I assume that the tools WebCompanion, Server Manager and Web Builder
> are released with GPL2 license.
> And that sounds very good.
>
> Does anyone try to update FreeNX installation with those packages?
we currently use WebCompanion and WebBuilder on a additional virtual Host (not need to install these on all NX Servers)

WebCompanion is easy to install and configure: html page calling a Java Applet and links to a .nxs file in session subdirectory (place here your .nxs file)
Attention: If you work on a Windows based Client and use WebCompanion, the NX Client get's installed in the Windows user profile which can cause problems if you have limited profile space (usual in bigger companies)

WebBuilder: PHP / MySQL based WebApp to configure Sessions for users on the fly. Uses by default userdatabase in MySQL so you have to build up a second user base. For this we map all logins only to one user in the DB and use for the real login a PHP PAM module to auth against our LDAP. The SSH-Key for the nx user is hardcoded in the CreateSession.php file. If you use different keys for different servers you have to patch the code to store a additional field in the database for each server and use a sql-query for using the correct key. We use for all servers the same key, which is easier to manage.

ServerManager: currently not in use (needs to be installed on the NX Server itself) Don't know if it will work without havy patching with freeNX. (maybe I will try sometimes).

> I'm going to do the job so any supports/tips will be appreciated

If you have additional questions about this you are welcome to ask.

Cheers,
Florian