[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX Server with CIFS client printing

Justin Lunning jlunning at new.org
Tue Nov 18 18:54:57 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm running into a problem trying to print via NX from a client using CIFS.  The printer tunnels correctly to the Ubuntu server running FreeNX 0.7.3.  It shows up as an available printer in all the Gnome printer dialogs.  But when I try to print to it, nothing happens.  When I look at the status of the printer it says "Cannot connect to CIFS host".

If I change the FreeNX server option, SAMBA_MOUNT_SHARE_PROTOCOL, from "both" to "smbfs, printing works.  So it seems SMB (port 139) works ok, but not CIFS (port 445).

This is fine for Windows XP clients, since they use SMB.  But Windows Vista clients only use CIFS, so I cannot print from them.  I've disabled the Vista firewall, double-checked my username and password, etc.  I don't think it's a tunneling/port problem, as I can telnet to the tunneled printer port on the server and it establishes a connection.

Has anyone gotten CIFS printing to work with FreeNX server and a NoMachine client on Vista?  I'm using the latest versions for both.

Justin