[FreeNX-kNX] Suspended Session

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Fri May 23 10:54:13 UTC 2008

On Friday 23 May 2008 12:45:10 Terje Andersen wrote:
> On Friday 23 May 2008 11:18:26 Stefan Kohlsmann wrote:
> > > # User for which sessions should be persistent. Either the keyword
> > > "all" or a
> > > # comma-separated list of usernames or groups in the @groupname syntax.
> > > #ENABLE_PERSISTENT_SESSION="all"
> > >
> > > # Users and groups for whom persistent sessions should be disabled.
> > > # Especially useful if ENABLE_PERSISTENT_SESSION="all"
> > > #DISABLE_PERSISTENT_SESSION=""
> > >
> > > This will effectively disable suspending of sessions, the CTRL+ALT+T
> > > will change to "Do you want to close the session? Yes/No".
> > > If the connection is broken, the server will terminate and remove the
> > > session.
> > >
> > > 	/Terje

> > Thanks for all your reply!
> >
> > The problem is, that the killed Session (e.g. just Poweroff the Client
> > PC) is marked as "Running" but the Client is off. The
> > "DISABLE_PERSISTENT_SESSION" works good, if the session is marked as
> > "suspended etc..." but that is the Problem. On my old Debian / FreeNX the
> > Session's immediately marked as Suspended and Killed.
>
> I just tested this with the following scenario:
> 1) DISABLE_PERSISTENT_SESSION="tan"
> 2) Established a session as the user 'tan'
> 3) killed nxssh on the client (similar  to a network outage/disruption)
> 4) 15 seconds later, the session was automatically terminated/removed on
> the server

Another thing that might be helpful, if the timeout is too long (15 seconds),
is that you could try to restrict the number of simultaneous sessions a user
can run to one.
If the first session (the one running when the client if powered off) isn't
killed yet (within the 15 seconds time-frame), the client/user will be
disallowed the connection until the first one is (automatically) killed.

The setting in question is:

# The maximum number of contemporary sessions that a single user can run
# on FreeNX. Defaults to the value of SESSION_LIMIT.
#SESSION_USER_LIMIT=200

Hope this helps :-)

Regards,
Terje