[FreeNX-kNX] first steps - how to get it working

Thomas Porschberg thomas at randspringer.de
Fri Mar 21 20:56:22 UTC 2008

Hi,

I want to try freenx to do my home-work over OpenVPN.

I installed at server side (SuSE 10.0 Linux)
 NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-44 OS (GPL)

and run
nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean --purge

At client side (Debian Etch) I installed
 nxclient_3.1.0-6_i386.deb

When doing the first connection tries  I got an error which I
could fix by applying the "backingstore patch" described here:
http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=FreeNX_FAQ/Problem_Solving

However I'm a bit confused about the lot of options offered by the
nxclient program and actually could not connect to the server successful although
the authentication is successful.

At server side (SuSE) I run usually XDM as display manager (with blackbox as windowmanager).
But when I choose the option  XDM for "Desktop" in the nxclient I get:

"Session type unix-xdm not supported  by the server."

So I choose
 Unix-Custom "Run the default X client script on server"
and "new virtual desktop"

and I get at client log:

Info: Forwarding X11 connections to display ':0.0'.
Session: Session started at 'Fri Mar 21 21:51:49 2008'.
Warning: Cookie mismatch in the X authentication data.
Session: Terminating session at 'Fri Mar 21 21:51:50 2008'.
Info: Your session was closed before reaching a usable state.
Info: This can be due to the local X server refusing access to the client.
Info: Please check authorization provided by the remote X application.
Session: Session terminated at 'Fri Mar 21 21:51:50 2008'.

What should I do at server and client side to get it working ?
I want continue to use "blackbox" as windowmanager.

Thomas

--
http://www.randspringer.de