[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX and Debian

Jeremy Wilkins wjeremy at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 22 04:04:59 UTC 2008

Thank you for the compliment and the offer, you are the first to offer and I
accept.  Maybe you can help me build better debs too, since I am still
learning all this Debian stuff myself, but I am an expert programmer.

To my understanding though nxproxy is not absolutely necessary to make
freenx-server to work (I have run it on a single server without it).  You
might need to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is the purpose.
Since I have never done that yet, I don't know.  That being said, yes, to
gain FULL functionality it should be installed, so I guess it is our call.

Where to upload the debs.  I would like to give you ftp access, but I won't
give passwords on a forum (It is obvious why).  I may need your email to
send it to you.  Mine is freely available wjeremy at shaw.ca as posted earlier.
If you email me I can send it to you, just email me when you create new debs
and please include your public key (You can register yourself as the
maintainer in the changelog).  Don't worry, I won't misuse your email, I
won't add you to any mail lists.  If you don't have a private GPG key I
recommend you make one.  There's lots of resources for that.  If you modify
the source in a way that works better, let me know and I will try it on
Ubuntu as well.  Debian is the original origin, and I am happy to share.  I
will always post on the forum when a new version is being released, but now
that you are onboard I will wait and inform you first to give you time to
submit a compiled update.  Since we are working together on this source it
may be that we will need a repository for changes to be tracked and
effected, so I would propose that we use the bazaar repo based freenx
account that I have on

Finally, if you could send me a copy of the modified rules file I would
appreciate that.  I had trouble with building on Hardy (which is similar to
lenny) but only on 64bit, so that could be the cause there too.

P.S.  If you are willing to support lenny 64bit and etch 32bit and 64bit, I
can walk you through the steps on how to build each arch using chroot
environments (I think you may still need a 64bit machine and OS running for
the 64bit chroot environments?).  I could do this myself, but I am limited
on disk space for chroot environments (I work on my 64bit laptop).