[FreeNX-kNX] Sharing an existing desktop session

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Fri Jun 6 09:33:00 UTC 2008

Yuval Hager wrote:
> On Saturday 31 May 2008, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Yuval Hager wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've scanned the docs, the web and this mailing list, as much as I could
>>> but could not find a direct answer.
>>>
>>> I have a running desktop on the local machine, and I want to be able to
>>> view it when I am away, using NX.
>>> I've tried to select 'shadow' (figured this is what I want, but not so
>>> sure now..) desktop mode, but the response was that this server does not
>>> support session shadowing.
>>> I followed an advice in a forum and switched that to VNC, but this causes
>>> the NXclient to crash as soon as it draws the main window.
>>>
>>> I'm using nxserver-freenx-0.7.2-r2, nxclient-3.1.0-r1 on Gentoo.
>>>
>>> Sorry if this has been asked a million times, a simple pointer to read
>>> the fine manual will also be appreciated.. :)
>> What I do (I know this is a very convoluted approach, but it works for
>> me :D) is this.
>>
>> I use a different user on my main workstation to login and I open a new
>> NX connection for my main user under user2.
>>
>> When I connect from another machine, it will use that nx session too.
>>

> Thanks for the response.
> I'm looking for a less intrusive method, so that the first session is not NX
> related at all, and that I can stop the nxserver anytime. I'll be using that
> session 95% of the time. I'd like to be able to connect and see this desktop
> from a remote NX client.
> Maybe this is also not sharing pre-se, so sorry about the confusion.

0.7.2 has options for mirroring both the server's local desktop and
active NX sessions using VNC. This can be connected to using the VNC
desktop type on the client, but the details aren't well documented (or
I've just missed the docs!) Looking at the source is probably more
productive than trial-and-error.

OT: any news on either fixing the berlios wiki or moving to a new one?