[FreeNX-kNX] Sharing an existing desktop session

Wilhelm Tell wilhelmtell80 at gmx.de
Thu Jun 5 13:54:31 UTC 2008

I must confess that the following is a lot more an educated guess than
actual knowledge, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

NX gets a lot of its performance from avoiding communications between
the server and the client by using a proxy, which remembers previous
requests and replys, so that following requests do not have to be sent
to the server but can be answered locally. While this mechanism reduces
traffic and response times, it is deadly for shared sessions.

If there isn't any network traffic there is nothing that can be mirrored
to another machine which means the clients can be in different states at
the same time, which means they may be showing different output which
opens up a whole new world of problems.For a session to be truly shared,
the clients must be synchronized, meaning sending messages back and
forth. Synchronization will take away a big chunk of NX's efficiency.

As far as I know there is no synchronization in NX, so there can't  be
shared sessions.

Best regards,

Bill