[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX on Suse 10.3 - connecting from XP to opensuse

Mike bellyacres at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 03:56:09 UTC 2008

Stephen Bratsberg wrote:

> Hello, I'm new to Linux and even newer to FreeNX.

Welcome.  After FreeNX is working you'll never look back...

> I can use Putty to connect via ssh with no problem to the Linux box.

Can the user "nx" connect via putty?

> ssh: connect to host 198.168.2.39 <http://198.168.2.39> port 22:
> Connection timed out

Is the host IP wrong?  198.168.2.39 is public IP space, perhaps it's 192.

> However there is no log file ( /var/log/secure) as I'm lead to believe
> there should be.

Look at /var/log/debug|messages|auth.  Use ls -ltr after trying to
connect, this will show you the last updated file in /var/log.

> I have turned on the loging in /etc/nxserver/node.conf & I also have the
> line #NX-logfile=/var/log/nxserver.log
> and the file exists in this location, however it never seems to have
> anything in it (why?)

The # is a comment, remove it from the start of the line.  You may also
want to increase the logging level in node.conf also.

Mike