[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX on Suse 10.3 - connecting from XP to opensuse

Stephen Bratsberg fastsvt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 03:36:28 UTC 2008

Hello, I'm new to Linux and even newer to FreeNX.

I'm on opensuse 10.3 and have installed FreeNX on the linux box (Gnome
desktop) I have also installed the current NX client (from NoMachine) on my
XP box. I want to logon to the Linux box to run applications and have them
continue running until I log back on ( the Suse box is a headless system)
I can use Putty to connect via ssh with no problem to the Linux box.
I can VNC from XP to Linux. But am unable to get the applications to stay
running - I have asked the opensuse forums and looked at the settings but no
luck - someone had suggested using FreeNX instead and this had led me to
this point.

When I try to use the NX client (XP) I get the following error...

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 2884
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
ssh: connect to host 198.168.2.39 port 22: Connection timed out

I have read the SSH troubleshooting guide by Rick Stout where it is
suggested that I edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config
and added
LogLevel DEBUG3

However there is no log file ( /var/log/secure) as I'm lead to believe there
should be.

I have also tried to understand the FreeNX FAQ - where it suggests that I
run nxloadconfig - I have done this

stephen at planb:/var/log> nxloadconfig
--check
Warning: Invalid value
"COMMAND_FOOMATIC=/usr/lib/cups/driver/foomatic-ppdfile"
         Users will not be able to use foomatic.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_KDE=startkde"
         Users will not be able to request a KDE session.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_CDE=cdwm"
         Users will not be able to request a CDE session.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_SMBMOUNT=smbmount". You'll not be able to
use SAMBA.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_SMBUMOUNT=smbumount". You'll not be able to
use SAMBA.

  Warnings occured during config check.
  To enable these features please correct the configuration file.

I have turned on the loging in /etc/nxserver/node.conf & I also have the
line #NX-logfile=/var/log/nxserver.log
and the file exists in this location, however it never seems to have
anything in it (why?)

I have also looked at the FreeNX server guide by Terje Andersen and though
it isn't Suse specific I think that I have done what I should to have a
connection.
I installed (setup) using the command "nxsetup --install
--setup-nomachine-key -- clean --purge"
I also ran "chmod 640 /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/authorized_keys2"
I have also have entered AllowGroup to include nx and users, and have have
AllowUsers to include stephen and nx

I am using the default key in the NX client and trying to connect with my
user ID (stephen) & password

What information can I supply to make it easier for you to help..
Thanks for listening

Stephen