[FreeNX-kNX] seperate nxserver and desktop server machines

Chris Fanning christopher.fanning at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 16:18:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm going to try and be more precise this time (and less verbose).
I'm trying to use an nxserver machine to connect to a session on
another machine.

One machine with freenx server installed and another machine with xfce
nxserver: 192.168.1.219
xfce: 192.168.1.218

I haven't install nxserver on the xfce machine.

node.conf
ENABLE_SERVER_FORWARD="1"
SERVER_FORWARD_HOST="192.168.1.218"
#SERVER_FORWARD_PORT=22
#SERVER_FORWARD_KEY="/usr/NX/share/client.id_dsa.key"

When I try to login I get timeout:

Watching the traffic I can see an ssh connection opened on xfce from
the nxserver machine. That looks good but I don't get any further.

more /usr/NX/bin/nxserver I see:

$COMMAND_SSH -i "$SERVER_FORWARD_KEY" "-p$SERVER_FORWARD_PORT"
"nx@$SERVER_FORWARD_HOST" "host=$SERVER_NAME"

So that looks like I need an nx user on the xfce machine.
Does that mean I need to install nxserver on the xfce machine too?

Some pointers would be a big help right now.

Thankyou.
Chris.