[FreeNX-kNX] seperate nxserver and desktop server machines

Chris Fanning christopher.fanning at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 12:28:05 UTC 2008

Hello,

I've installed NX libs and freeNX following:
http://wiki.slashconcept.com/index.php/FreeNX_Remote_Administration_unter_Debian_GNU_Linux_4.0_Etch_Howto
And did a quick xfce4 install and it works.
Thankyou.

But it's my understanding that I can run freeNX server on one box and
run the desktop server (say gnome), on another box.
Isn't this the first step to work towards loadbalancing?

Before installing a desktop on the test machine I tried:
# /usr/NX/bin/nxsetup

Warning: Invalid value "DEFAULT_X_SESSION=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession"
         Users might not be able to request a default X session.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_KDE=startkde"
         Users will not be able to request a KDE session.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_GNOME=gnome-session"
         Users will not be able to request a Gnome session.

So, If the idea is to have gnome on another machine, how do you do it?
I get the feeling a really need to begin to understand the different
components, nxproxy, nxagent, etc.
Sorry for the beginners questions. :(

Thanks again.
Chris.