[FreeNX-kNX] Desktop applets all crash on startup

Simon Guerrero Simon.Guerrero at vivista.sungard.com
Mon Jan 14 08:56:19 UTC 2008

I have identified over the weekend that a large number of application
crashes I was having, as well as my problem with lack of keyboard,
turned out to be due to NX.

The current version of the free NX at nomachine.com drops libraries into
the system library path which clash with existing libraries from the
distribution (in my case, Debian "lenny"). For example, libpng.so is at
a different version for NX, but it creates symlinks in /usr/NX/lib which
end up being used by kde apps, which segfault.

Removing nxserver, nxnode and nxclient gets rid of the problem, but kind
of defeats the object of putting nx on - to get to the machine remotely.

Can anyone suggest a way of getting around this? I spent yesterday
trying to build a working NX system but it seems that getting a
combination of freenx sources and the correct OSS NX components from
NoMachine on my distribution, at least, is beyond me.

Simon