[FreeNX-kNX] Starting a second application within an already established session

Ace Suares lists at suares.an
Fri Feb 29 16:25:31 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Bernhard Donaubauer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 27. Februar 2008 16:18:50 schrieb Terje Andersen:
> > The way I've seen people report that they use the rootless mode (when
> > in need of several windows), is that they start their applications
> > from the xterm window which then will be started inside the same
> > session. Another solution is to create a serverside script that does
> > this for you, and start this script instead of the xterm (defined in
> > the client).
>
> Ok - to start applications from the xterm would be a solution for me as
> an IT man but not for simple users. They need a button they can click
> on on their desktop to get the app they need.
>
> I am testing nx as an Windows - X - Server replacement for inhouse and
> home office employees. I thought it could do this but now I am not
> sure.

I think there are various ways to do it.
For instance, you could make a simple interactive script, that gives the
users some choices:

A) WP5.1
B) Norton AntiVirus
C) DBase III
D) Quit

and then users choose one of the options. (The options form this menu are
from 1995, obviously :-)

If you need to start two apss at the same time, and they are always the
same two apps, then just make a script that starts both apps.

I am not sure about the details; I think it's the general direction to go,
tough.

Let us know if you solved the problem !

ace