[FreeNX-kNX] Starting a second application within an already established session

Miguel de Val Borro miguel.deval at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:46:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 04:18:50PM +0100, Terje Andersen wrote:
> You don't want to control the resume functionality - you want to be
> able to start a second xterm into the same session that the first
> xterm is running.
> I haven't tested this myself and I can see that this can be a challenge.
>
> A simple solution to this is to create another connection profile
> (just change the name in the NXClient window and it will ask what to
> do) that you name something different than you initial/first session.
> This will give you another xterm window, but probably in another
> session, and therefore will not do what you are asking.
>
> The way I've seen people report that they use the rootless mode (when
> in need of several windows), is that they start their applications
> from the xterm window which then will be started inside the same
> session. Another solution is to create a serverside script that does
> this for you, and start this script instead of the xterm (defined in
> the client).

I have been able to run several sessions with the same configuration
file using nxclient 2.1 from NoMachine and a FreeNX server with a 2.1
backend. nxclient 3.1 terminates the running session when you launch a
new one and I haven't seen any way to change this in the client.  It
could be possible to do the same using an open source NX client but I
haven't tried that.

Regards,
Miguel