[FreeNX-kNX] Problem to redisplay Win4Lin

Ace Suares lists at suares.an
Fri Feb 29 03:37:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

I *really* like to know if someone can shed some light on this issue.
As it stands now, I have to go with VNC, and that'll work, I tested it.
I'd rather go with freeNX tough. It's faster and more flexible.

So any of you really really tech guys (girls) out there, PLEASE answer or
at least give some direction.

Ace

Hi All,

{snip}

I am trying to run win4lin Terminal Server (wts), a commecial product that
is not supported anymore but still serves me well in the educational
environment.

It's a bit of a weird setup: I run win4lin on Ubuntu Breezy, because of
some kernel issues, but that whole thing runs in kvm/qemu on a Ubuntu
Gutsy (32bit) host.

I am trying to connect from the host, via nxclient/freenx to the kvm
guest, and it works wonderful! But as soon as I start win4lin, I am don't
see the win4lin window, altough it is running somewhere in the dark
corners of X.

If I use tightvnc, win4lin is displayed as should. Also, on the kvm guest
(which displays it's 'console' in an X window on the host) I can start
win4lin without problems.

I had some problems with fonts, at first, but I think I tackled them by
using xfs, a font server.

Someone suggested that the problem was becasue win4lin uses old technology
for the display, i.e. Motif; but the 'xmpuzzels' (like xmpanex) run
perfectly over freenx.

I am very curious to hear your toughts about this issue.

Cheers
ace