[FreeNX-kNX] Problem to redisplay Win4Lin

Ace Suares lists at suares.an
Tue Feb 26 00:42:59 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I am very much impressed by NoMachine/FreeNX... it's so fast, and it
requires a minimum in configuration.

I am trying to run win4lin Terminal Server (wts), a commecial product that
is not supported anymore but still serves me well in the educational
environment.

It's a bit of a weird setup: I run win4lin on Ubuntu Breezy, because of
some kernel issues, but that whole thing runs in kvm/qemu on a Ubuntu
Gutsy (32bit) host.

I am trying to connect from the host, via nxclient/freenx to the kvm
guest, and it works wonderful! But as soon as I start win4lin, I am don't
see the win4lin window, altough it is running somewhere in the dark
corners of X.

If I use tightvnc, win4lin is displayed as should. Also, on the kvm guest
(which displays it's 'console' in an X window on the host) I can start
win4lin without problems.

I had some problems with fonts, at first, but I think I tackled them by
using xfs, a font server.

Someone suggested that the problem was becasue win4lin uses old technology
for the display, i.e. Motif; but the 'xmpuzzels' (like xmpanex) run
perfectly over freenx.

I am very curious to hear your toughts about this issue.

Cheers
ace