[FreeNX-kNX] virtualbox, sdl, rdp, freenx, xen

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 16:11:53 UTC 2008

One of the things I really hate about trying to deal with MS
is the effort required to understand their licensing terms.

And I get to where I understand them today,
they will change tomorrow.

You can be sure that if lots of folks go around the MS tollbooth,
the tollbooth will be moved.
And you all will be declared pirates.

That being said
I am very interested in learning how setup instructions
for running with windows apps either in a VM or
on separate real hardware.

I am thinking about more of vnc rather than an rdp.
In addition to the licensing issues I don't want to think about,
there are the windows sysadmin skills I'd need
to be comfortable with setting up rdp.

Vnc sounds so much easier,
install vnc server on  windows,
the client on FreeNX
(both on the same local network).

Start up a remote NX session
from somewhere across the internet
using the !M client connnect to a desktop on the FreeNX server and
run the vncclient on the FreeNX server to connect to a Windows desktop.

http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=NX_Components
shows a somewhat different set up.  Or is this what happens
automatically under the covers when we take the simpleminded
approach above, or do we have to do configure things differently
to get things to work this way.

If they are distinct approaches.
Do both approaches work?
Which is better?

There are lots of vnc implementations.
The first approach is vnc implementation agnostic.
The second seems bound to TightVNC.
s there really that much difference between vnc implementations?

What is TightVNC security like?

Last time I looked.
Which was a long time ago.
RealVNC had no security in the free version.
And had better security in the $$ version.

On Feb 14, 2008 1:05 AM, Chris Fanning <christopher.fanning at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I imagine that I'm not the only one in the list that has to deal with
> windows applicactions. Although life would be a lot easier without
> them, it doesn't look like we can escape from M$ completely (at least
> for the moment).
>
> In my case, I have users sharing the same gnu/linux box runnng KDE
> sessions and a seperate w2k3 server running window-terminal-server for
> windows apps via RDP.
>
> Yesterday a colleague opened his xfce sessions via freeNX and
> installed Virtualbox. Within 15 minutes he had installed XP. And that
> got us thinking about the need for the w2k3 server and the expensive
> terminal server licences.
>
> Virtualbox uses SDL (right?), that means we can circumnavigate RPD
> (and the licences), couldn't we?
> Each user could have his on virtual windows running on his kde desktop.
>
> After reading that SUN has recently bought Virtualvox and intends to
> use it with xen,  we're wondering
> Resource management of the virtaulbox instances would be important.
> Perhaps this is where Xen comes into it. but how?
>
> I was hoping someone on the list might have an opinion on this.
>
> Thanks.
> Chris.

Drew Einhorn