[FreeNX-kNX] session suspend/resume

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Tue Feb 12 22:37:41 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 08:03:44 Bart Whiteley wrote:
> I've been using FreeNX and knx to provide a dual head display to my
> laptop.  I run nxserver on the laptop, and run knx on a dual head
> workstation.  The problem with this approach is that I have to log in to
> a new session each time I attach with knx, and I also have to log in on
> the laptop whenever I use the laptop away from the workstation.  I would
> prefer to be able to attach to the same session either directly from the
> laptop, or from the dual head workstation.  This way I don't have to
> close and restart applications when I switch from using the laptop
> alone, to using the workstation to access the laptop.

I'm not quite sure if I understand you correctly, but basically you can do on
of two things as I see it;

a) use the latest FreeNX 0.71 and enable desktop sharing (local X11 session on
you laptop, VNC through FreeNX).
	1) install a VNC server and share your desktop on your laptop
	2) change accordingly the ENABLE_DESKTOP_SHARING and/or ENABLE_MIRROR_VIA_VNC
directives in node.conf
	2) install the official NoMachine NXClient and choose the correct session
type.

b) use a FreeNX session shared between your workstation and locally on your
laptop
	1) connect to and create a session on your laptop from your workstation
	2) choose to suspend it with the keycombo CTRL+T when you need to do the
switch
	3) connect and resume this session from your laptop with a local NXClient
	(look at previous posts about how to enable suspend/resume; geometry/display
depth, session names, and enable the correct directives in node.conf (look
for PERSISTENT SESSIONS))

I would recommend a) as the best solution as I see it...

PS! Look inside the node.conf for more information about the different
options.

And as always, your welcome to share your findings on the official Wiki ;-)

	/Terje