[FreeNX-kNX] Can't complete connection

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Mon Feb 4 15:47:08 UTC 2008

On Monday 04 February 2008, Jim wrote:
> Alastair Johnson wrote:
> > On Monday 04 February 2008, Jim wrote:
> >> Fedora 8 i386 box connecting to a F8,x86_64 box
> >> I have NX connecting to one computer with no problems, but I have this
> >> X86_64 box that can start connection buts times-out.
> >> Below is the details of connection attempts;
> >
> > Please enable logging on the server as described in the FAQ (link in the
> > footer) then repost with the server and session logs from the server end
> > as well. It would also be useful to know the versions of the RPMs
> > installed.
>
> Is this what you were referring to ?
>

>       Turning on logging
>
> In /etc/nxserver/node.conf set the following:
>
>         NX_LOG_LEVEL=6
>         SESSION_LOG_CLEAN=0
>
> The first line sets the log level for the log in /var/log/nxserver.log.
> The second stops the server from clearing the logs in the user's home
> directory. Check <home_dir>/.nx/<C or
> F>-<server_name>-<display_port>-<session_id>/ for log files errors and
> session.
>
> I'm running the following RPM's
> nxclient-3.1.0-2.x86_64.rpm
> nxnode-3.1.0-5.x86_64.rpm
> nxserver-3.1.0-4.x86_64.rpm
>
> I don't have a /var/log/nxserver.log , but I do have a
> ~/.nx/temp/9896/runlog file , listed below

Ah...mail latency ;-) I got this just after I sent the previous reply.

From the RPMs it appears you are using NoMachine's nxserver which is not the
same as FreeNX. The configuration and debugging are rather different. There
may be someone on the list who can help you, but I can't as I haven't used
that server. These links may be handy.
	http://www.nomachine.com/support.php
	http://www.nomachine.com/news-read.php?idnews=223
	http://www.nomachine.com/news-read.php?idnews=202

NoMachine created the NX technology and libraries, and released them under the
GPL. Their nxclient and a version of their nxserver are available free of
charge, but are closed source. They will sell you more advanced versions of
their server with support.

FreeNX is an open implementation of an NX server which uses the libraries
NoMachine released, but is otherwise unconnected. It is community developed
and supported, and is much easier to install on some distros than others.
Luckily Fedora is easy - usually just:
	yum install freenx

Which one is right for you is your call, but don't try to have them both
installed on the same machine as they probably won't play nicely.