[FreeNX-kNX] XIO: fatal IO error 54 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":1000.0"

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Wed Aug 27 10:08:09 UTC 2008

boxed skeg wrote:
> NXCLIENT - Version 3.2.0-9 on gentoo 2008.0 x86, freenxserver 0.7.2-r2
> also on gentoo 2008.0 but on sparc. I can shell into the client machine
> (ssh -Y myacct at servermachine <mailto:myacct at servermachine>) and do
> /usr/bin/nxnode --agent and the X window pops up and no errors are
> reported on the shell. However this is the session log after it bombs:
> http://pastebin.ca/1185802 The DISPLAY on in the client shell is
> localhost:10.0 so how did it get to 1000 so it could be unable to open
> the display?

DISPLAY 1000 is the tunnelled, NX compressed display, and is entirely
normal. The error 54 is not, and I've not heard of it before. There may
be some useful information in the server logs if you enable them as
described in the link below.

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ/Problem_Solving#Turning_on_logging