[FreeNX-kNX] user mode freenx/nx

Al Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Wed Apr 30 10:00:10 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 18:59:49 Scott Serr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use nx or freenx in two ways:
> 1. a full remote desktop launchable by the user like vncserver.

I'm not sure I understand the usage scenario you have in mind.

> 2. a single X client redirect like "ssh -X"

Bill Alexander was asking about similar functionality about a week ago. He was
looking at updating nxtunnel to work with the current version of the libs.

> A big constraint...  Assume that we don't have root and can't have
> sysadmins install this on hundreds of boxes.

Erm...you want someone other than a sysadmin to install a remote access tool
on hundreds of machines? Sounds like a good way to a clear desk and an escort
off site to me. Assuming the sysadmin doesn't find you first that is...

> Rather than writing my own (poor) wrapper scripts around nxproxy and
> nxagent...  has someone already thought out these two use cases with
> this constraint?
>
> We don't have a constraint of needing encryption.  nxssh would seem to
> be able to do something like "ssh -X" but wouldn't for me.
>
> I'm having a hard time with freenx since it tries to do so many things
> and there is not that much documentation.

I remember that feeling ;-)