[FreeNX-kNX] nxdesktop and nxviewer, perception, documentation

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Tue Apr 29 21:45:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 15:22 -0600, Scott Serr wrote:
> I've read that nxdesktop and nxviewer are no longer shipped with NX.  It
> was said that the functionality was now in the NX libraries.  How would
> you use that functionality?  The nxscripts/run-nxdesktop* and
> nxscripts/run-nxviewer* still appear to try to run them.  Is this cruft
> that NoMachine has left in?

No, those are _not_ included in the nxlibs. NoMachine previously made a
special forked version of those two, but now they rely on the originals.
All you have to do, is to install rdesktop and vncviewer, then edit the
node.conf and, if necessary, specify where those binaries are.

> It seems like there is a fair amount of criticism out there for nx and
> freenx.  I have many questions that I think more complete and more
> current documentation could help with.  Going on 4 years, I think lack
> of documentation and organization undermines freenx's success.  I know
> it's "documented" in the thousands of lines of scripts, but not everyone
> can consume that.  It seems that man pages and --help would go along
> way.  NX knowledge seems to be locked away in freenx developers' minds
> and in the scripts.

Documentation is _really_ a short time away - it's not a complete manual
yet, but will be helpful to newcomers and more experienced users.
Hopefully (based on feedback and more time) it will evolve into a more
mature and complete manual over time.

Please keep an eye on this list, as the announcement & docs will be made
available here.

> I really appreciate the page:
> http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=NX_Components -- Now if
> there were examples on how to construct the connections explained there
> that would be great.  With current NX libraries, that would be great
> also...  (without nxviewer and nxdesktop)  Or maybe without nxviewer and
> nxdesktop, VNC and RDP transfers are impossible now?

I agree on this, and an effort to make a documentation is under the way,
but for now you should be able to find an answer to these questions
using the ML archives and google (search for "<your keywords>
site:http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx-knx/").

As for VNC/RDP, please look at the answer inline above.

> I'm trying to help.  I would be happy to collect and organize documentation.

Then please hold your breath until the "for-now" docs are made
available, and please help to make it even better ;)

> Thanks,
> Scott

	/Terje