[FreeNX-kNX] nxdesktop and nxviewer, perception, documentation

Scott Serr serrs at theserrs.net
Tue Apr 29 21:22:33 UTC 2008

I've read that nxdesktop and nxviewer are no longer shipped with NX.  It
was said that the functionality was now in the NX libraries.  How would
you use that functionality?  The nxscripts/run-nxdesktop* and
nxscripts/run-nxviewer* still appear to try to run them.  Is this cruft
that NoMachine has left in?

It seems like there is a fair amount of criticism out there for nx and
freenx.  I have many questions that I think more complete and more
current documentation could help with.  Going on 4 years, I think lack
of documentation and organization undermines freenx's success.  I know
it's "documented" in the thousands of lines of scripts, but not everyone
can consume that.  It seems that man pages and --help would go along
way.  NX knowledge seems to be locked away in freenx developers' minds
and in the scripts.

I really appreciate the page:
http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=NX_Components -- Now if
there were examples on how to construct the connections explained there
that would be great.  With current NX libraries, that would be great
also...  (without nxviewer and nxdesktop)  Or maybe without nxviewer and
nxdesktop, VNC and RDP transfers are impossible now?

I'm trying to help.  I would be happy to collect and organize documentation.

Thanks,
Scott