[FreeNX-kNX] Freenx 0.7.2 + !M NX 3.2.0?

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Thu Apr 17 15:34:30 UTC 2008

Alastair Johnson pisze:
> On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Maciej Sieczka wrote:

>> Due to this fix [1] I want to try to install NX from source. Will there
>> be any problems if I use Frenx 0.7.2 with !M NX 3.2.0?

> I'm using nx 3.2.0 with freenx 0.7.2 on Gentoo at the moment and haven't had
> any problems. I've not tried it with older or non-linux clients though.

>> Do I really have to "Get all sources from
>> www.nomachine.com/sources.php", as the INSTALL reads? Aren't these [2]
>> enough?
>>
>> [1]http://www.nomachine.com/tr/view.php?id=TR12E01973
>> [2]http://www.nomachine.com/documentation/html/building-components.html#4

> The gentoo ebuild uses those in [2] plus nxcompshad

>> BTW - when is next release planned? Maybe it will make it before I
>> manage to get my head around all of this :).

> Probably depends on what you mean by a release. It sounds like you mean a
> release of binaries for the nx libs, but you don't mention which distro.

Right. I mixed things. Now I understand that the Freenx project does not
release Freenx + !M NX libs, only the Freenx part. It is up to the
user/packager to get the 2 things together as a working NX server.

> Gentoo ebuilds are already available - many thanks to the maintainer :-) For
> other distros you could probably modify the existing source packages to use
> the new sources if the binaries aren't already available.

That worked like a charm. On Ubuntu Gutsy I did the following:

- purge current NX server instalation

- fetch relevant tar.gz's from http://www.nomachine.com/sources.php

- add
deb http://www.datakeylive.com/ubuntu gutsy main
deb-src http://www.datakeylive.com/ubuntu gutsy main

to /etc/apt/sources.list

- sudo apt-get build-dep nxlibs

- apt-get source nxlibs

- in the source directory tweak few files/dirs names/content a bit to
comply with NX 3.2.0 sources

- replace NX 3.1.0 source tar.gz's with their 3.2.0 counterparts

- debuild, install debs it builds

- sudo apt-get install freenx-server

- install the !M nxclient 3.2.0 on client machines

Voila. Indeed NX 3.2 fixes the bug
http://www.nomachine.com/tr/view.php?id=TR12E01973. Though some other
issues with transparent vectors rendering in QGIS, in modes other than
LAN, remain. Oh well.

Maciek