[FreeNX-kNX] Display limit exceeded Error

Freek de Kruijf f.de.kruijf at hetnet.nl
Tue Apr 8 14:32:40 UTC 2008

Carlos Sosa schrieb:
> Formerly Freenx - 0.5.x smooth domestict server, suddenly shows:
> Display limit exceeded Error please remove some files from /tmp/.X*-lock
> Just found this file has one line with 5317

On the server as root give the command "nxserver --list". This gives you
something like this:

NX> 100 NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-44 OS (GPL)
NX> 127 Sessions list:

Display Username        Remote IP       Session ID
------- --------------- --------------- --------------------------------
1001    xxxxx   aa.bb.ccc.dd    5D69D0CEB041B0900E767844629BA728
NX> 999 Bye

Look at the display# above: only 1001. This means there should be only one
file /tmp/.X1001-lock . The 1001 in this file corresponds with the 1001 in
the display#.
Any file /tmp/.X*-lock which does not have a corresponding display# in the
above list should be removed. This makes all these display numbers reusable.
I suspect you have a lot of these files there, which is why you can't have
more sessions.
Older versions of FreeNX had this problem of not removing the lock file in
certain circumstances.

--
fr.gr.

Freek de Kruijf