[FreeNX-kNX] Fwd: nx problem

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Mon Sep 3 01:25:31 UTC 2007

> Hi.
> I have got a problem with the windows version of nxclient. I'm asking on
> this forum since it seems like you gotta be a customer to ask at
> nomachine.com. The problem I am experiencing might be some sort og
> localization problem.

Okay.

> Facts:
> 1. I have a working freenx server running
> 2. I can connect to that server from almost anywhere.

Nice :). I love success stories - even if its just partial success.

> The problem:
> Some users at some locations can't establish an X-server connection. The
> have seen it there has been one of the three danish special characters in
> the sockets path.

Okay.

> A funny thing is that I have a computer that always logs on when I am at
> home, but not all other places. How can that be?

Can you elaborate on that a bit more?

> Error: Can't determine the location of the X display socket.
> Error: Error 2 'No such file or directory' checking
> 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\NX73F8~1/D-Fahnøe-C7E8CA86E07A21252DAC63AB0FD18ACC/.X11-unix'.

IIRC, Fahnoe will be the name of the computer right? Btw. really nice island. We used to go on vacations there, when I was a child :-D.

You can report this error to developers at nomachine.com, because it is an error that will happen also (but check that first) if you do a testdrive and severely narrows the market of customers, because this problem will occur on all machines with localized hostnames.

(www.nomachine.com/testdrive.php)

Okay, I also got an idea for a workaround but it needs some programming or scripting:

Replace nxssh.exe with your own nxssh.exe and move nxssh.exe to nxssh-old.exe.

In new nxssh.exe do:

- Change the $DISPLAY environment variable to contain the correct path with ~1 like ADMINI~1.

- The same could apply to other variables like $NX_BIN or other variables starting with $NX_ to have it fully working.

I estimate ~ 30 minutes of work for this kind of wrapper customization.

Depends if you need it _now_ (and are willing to either spend the time or pay someone to do it) or if you can wait for !M for a fix.

cu

Fabian