[FreeNX-kNX] freenx is dead !

Tom Barber tom at wamonline.org.uk
Wed Oct 31 09:25:27 UTC 2007

cedric briner wrote:
> hello,
>
> Sorry for the title, but I do not know how to do to see you reacting.
> But I'm getting quite nervous with freenx and the fact that there is no
> way to install it (or maybe I'm just a poor moron). I mean what is the
> point of developing something when many people can't even install it.
> And I'm getting even more nervous because I do love this piece of
> software, which is radically awsome (when it works :P ). I even give
> some idea of icon and name for the freenx (Very Long Screen Cable)
> because I LOVE IT.
>
> I've seen many post with people asking for a .deb with not even a reply
> to them! (I was sadly part of them). So the alternative for this people
> is to use the tarball, which is a demoniac process where many admins
> just died. The documentation is mmh... let me find... non-existante.
>
> I swear.. yes I swear... I tried hardly to install it. trying to
> construct from:
>   - the sources
>   - the deb are too old
>   - taking the tar file from nomachine and wishing to bind it with freenx
>
> So please, please can someone show us the path to the light.
>
> Sincerly
>
> Ced.

Admittedly I've never used a debian based distro before, but I've never
had any trouble getting a version of freeNX, Centos, Gentoo, Fedora all
fine. At the same time it does appear to me like there aren't that many
active developers working on freeNX(I may be wrong there) so getting
rpms/debs for reasonably new versions of distros may take a bit of time.
I'm sure someone will come up with a deb installation soon, and are the
sources really that hard to compile?

Anyway thats my 2cents

Tom