[FreeNX-kNX] Fw: Fw: The NX service is not available

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Tue Oct 16 23:04:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 15:57 +0200, sohbay at gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

<big-snip>

> Thanks again for your kind help!
>
> OK I have removed nxserver and its dependency NX using "yum remove freenx"

Good.

> I then removed all other lingering directories and then ran yum install
> freenx  with its dependency NX

OK, now we should be back to the starting point ;-)

> Then LOCATE
> [root at server ~]# locate nxserver
>
> /etc/nxserver
> /etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key
> /etc/nxserver/node.conf.sample
> /etc/nxserver/server.id_dsa.pub.key
> /etc/nxserver/users.id_dsa
> /etc/nxserver/users.id_dsa.pub
> /root/nxserver-3.0.0-74.x86_64.rpm
> /usr/libexec/nx/nxserver
> /usr/libexec/nx/nxserver-helper
> /var/lib/nxserver
> /var/lib/nxserver/db
> /var/lib/nxserver/home
> /var/lib/nxserver/db/closed
> /var/lib/nxserver/db/failed
> /var/lib/nxserver/db/running
> /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh
> /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/authorized_keys
> /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/known_hosts
> [root at server ~]#

Based on this result, it looks like the FreeNX binaries are in
'/usr/libexec/nx'.

> if I run setup it says its not implemented yet?
>
> [root at server~]# /usr/libexec/nx/nxserver --setup

This is not the correct program to run to do a manual install -
use '/usr/libexec/nx/nxsetup --help'   (to see the parameters)

> NX> 100 NXSERVER - Version 1.5.0-70 OS (GPL)
> NX> 500 Error: Function --setup not implemented yet.
> NX> 999 Bye
>
> adding a user and password appears to work OK
>
> [root at server ~]# /usr/libexec/nx/nxserver --useradd root
>
> [root at server ~]# /usr/libexec/nx/nxserver --passwd root
>
> OK

OK, this is fine (though I _strongly_ recommend you _not_ to allow/add
'root' to be able to login through FreeNX).

> I try to start the server "its already running"
>
> [root at server ~]# /usr/libexec/nx/nxserver --start
> NX> 100 NXSERVER - Version 1.5.0-70 OS (GPL)
> NX> 500 ERROR: Service already running
> NX> 999 Bye
> [root at server ~]#

This is normal after the installation has succeeded - the FreeNX server
will be started automatic.

> I copy the key from /etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key to the nxserver client

Why do you copy this to the client? Why can't you use the built-in key
provided with the client & server that both agree on using (and which
should be more than secure enough for basic usage)? This only
complicates the setup/configuration/install that you are trying to do...

When you run 'nxsetup --help' you will find that one of the parameters
you can give nxsetup is '---setup-nomachine-key'. This will install the
keys that the official clients from NoMachine is already programmed
with, and will greatly simplify you configuration - if this is not
acceptable by your security-policy, I would atleast begin with this key
now that you have trouble getting FreeNX to work, then when all works,
you can change this to a private key again.

> and then I try to login and I get the same error "auth failed!
>
> NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 3604
> NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
> NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
> NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
> NX> 200 Connected to address: ip on port: 22
> NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
> NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
> NX> 204 Authentication failed.

Yes, you have still trouble getting SSH to allow you to login using the
key (the one I recommended you not to use and copy), so look at the
things I've written earlier.

> Am I doing something wrong?

well, yes, look at the comments inline earlier in this mail.

If all fails, you can try to run this:

 	nxsetup --uninstall --purge --clean

then you can do this to do completely reset the installation

	nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key

Finally, if this still does not work, you will need to start debugging
your SSH-server installation/configuration (see the wiki-link I gave you
in an earlier mail), and possibly see if there has been some updates to
SELinux (don't know much about that myself, as I don't use Fedora) which
broke FreeNX (you should find info about this at the wiki/web).

> Thanks
> Tom

/Terje