[FreeNX-kNX] Decent 8 bit display in nxclient.

Christopher Layne clayne at anodized.com
Sun Oct 14 05:00:41 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 02:19:19PM +0200, Andreas.Bjorklund at infineon.com wrote:
> >Uh, I don't even understand the question or your problem ...
>
> Sorry Fabian for not giving you relevant data. :-(
>
> I hope this is relevant information.
>
> When I change to 8 bit color depth on my pc and start a nx session it
> looks like this.
> http://www.halfface.se/ScreenCaptureOfWhatItLooksLikeOnWindowsMachine.pn

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

> If I do a screen capture in the remote nx environment, and look at it on
> a machine with full color the screen capture looks like this.
> http://www.halfface.se/ScreenCaptureCreatedInRemote8bitSession.png

So still either a client or server issue really. :-/

> Is there a way to configure nxclient to start an 8bit nx session even if
> you are running Truecolor on your computer?

AFAIK, no - and this has always annoyed the heck out of me. Particularly because
I run 16-bit all the time just so my NX sessions won't be exchanging *twice* the
data. It appears nxclient refuses to adapt it's own bitdepth to anything but the
native depth one is currently running (and don't try to run it as one, and
then change it after - it will complain that it can no longer work with the "new"
bit depth).

-cl