[FreeNX-kNX] Decent 8 bit display in nxclient.

Joe Baker joebaker at nelfc.com
Fri Oct 5 15:32:21 UTC 2007

Andreas.Bjorklund at infineon.com wrote:
> When I change to 8 bit color depth on my pc and start a nx session it
> looks like this.
> http://www.halfface.se/ScreenCaptureOfWhatItLooksLikeOnWindowsMachine.png
>
> If I do a screen capture in the remote nx environment, and look at it on
> a machine with full color the screen capture looks like this.
> http://www.halfface.se/ScreenCaptureCreatedInRemote8bitSession.png
>
> From a nxclient started under Linux with an 8 bit color display it looks
> ok.
> I am running windows 2000 with nxclient 3.0.0.78.
>
> Is there a way to configure nxclient to start an 8bit nx session even if
> you are running Truecolor on your computer?

I remember hearing something about this.  In your quest for a solution
use terms such as pallet.  As I recall this issue came up with a
freind's thin client network where the client machines had limited color
depth displays.  Having two different applications opened could cause
the first one to grab rights to the display pallet. Now this is totally
Here-Say, I'm drawing conclusions that could be totally wrong.  But look
for options that allow you to "grab the pallet".

It is an interesting problem.  I have about 70 old unused thin clients
from Neoware which might some day need what you are trying to accomplish.

-Joe Baker