[FreeNX-kNX] Fedora 8 working for anyone?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed Nov 14 17:23:32 UTC 2007

I've been using a fairly old verion NX because it worked so
well I didn't want to risk breaking it by upgrading :-).

However, on my new Fedora 8 box, I can't get either the old
NX or the new versions from the Fedora 8 repo to work at all.

Has anyone had success with Fedora 8?

It seems to always wind up with an error about nxagent getting
an I/O error talking to the display, so I tried the desperation
debug technique of swapping nxagent for a script that runs the real
nxaget program under strace in the hopes that I could see exactly
where the I/O error was happening.

Lo and behold, the thing worked when running under strace (but was
horribly slow, so this isn't much of a solution).

This makes me think that maybe something changed somewhere in the
kernel to be nonblocking by default that used to block, and slowing
everything down makes it work even in nonblocking mode (just
grasping at straws here :-).

Any clues?