[FreeNX-kNX] freenx is dead !

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Fri Nov 9 14:58:54 UTC 2007

> Just Perfect !! It works great with no pain :) i love it.
> Sorry to have taken that much time to reply, I was quite busy lately.

No problem.

> Something like this _has to be put_ in an more evident place ( eg; in
> the README or INSTALL file)

I've put a link to my mail into the INSTALL file, because I am still not sure if that is okay.

> I've got into some small problems when installing it due to some stupid
> restriction on my own in hosts.allow. Yeah I wasn't able to an ssh on
> localhost :P

Lol.

> So my little contribution to FREENX is either a small test to help
> future people do diagnose faster what I encountered with a test like this:
> echo Quit | ssh -i /usr/NX/home/nx/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key \
>                  -o ConnectTimeout=3

This is already in nxloadconfig, but I agree that it would be nice to test it manually without doing an install.

And I had that case myself yesterday that I needed to test the connection where something had changed but I did not want to reinstall.

I have now added nxsetup --test to do what you wanted and I changed nxnode-login to have -o ConnectTimeout 3.

> or to add an information in case the

why or? I think I can add it additionally.

> nx_connection_test failed.
>   Fatal error: Could not connect to NX Server.
>   Please check your ssh setup:
>   The following are _examples_ of what you might need to check.
>    -Make sure \ nx\  is one of the AllowUsers in sshd_config.
>     (or that the line is outcommented/not there)
>    -Make sure your sshd allows public key authentication.
>    -Make sure your sshd is really running on port $SSHD_PORT.
>    -Make sure your sshd_config AuthorizedKeysFile in sshd_config is
>     set to $SSH_AUTHORIZED_KEYS.
>     (this should be a filename not a pathname+filename)
>    -Make sure you allow ssh on localhost, this could come from some
>     restriction of:
>     -the tcp wrapper. Then add in /etc/hosts.allow: ALL:localhost
>     -the iptables. add to it : iptables -A INPUT  -i lo -j ACCEPT
>                               iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

Commited to SVN.

Thanks for your contribution.

cu