[FreeNX-kNX] freenx is dead !

cedric briner work at infomaniak.ch
Fri Nov 9 12:39:38 UTC 2007

Fabian Franz wrote:
>>   - the deb are too old
>
> I am not a distributor and the last time I said that I wanted to do packages, people did protest a lot. Integration of distribution and so on ...
>
>>   - taking the tar file from nomachine and wishing to bind it with freenx
>
> That is rather easy, though I dunno if its legal.
>
> - Use NoMachine Free-Forever edition tar.gz and untar it to /usr/NX/:
>
> $ cd /usr/
> $ tar xzf ~/<nx-free-forever-nomachine-server.tar.gz>
> $ tar xzf ~/<nx-free-forever-nomachine-node.tar.gz>
> $ tar xzf ~/<nx-free-forever-nomachine-client.tar.gz>
>
> - Patch FreeNX sources with gentoo-nomachine.diff:
>
> $ patch -p0 < gentoo-nomachine.diff
>
> - Copy Sources to /usr/NX/bin
>
> $ cp nx* /usr/NX/bin/
>
> - Copy node.conf to /usr/NX/etc
>
> $ cp node.conf.sample /usr/NX/etc/node.conf
>
> - Run nxsetup
>
> /usr/NX/bin/nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key
>
> - Done!
>
> cu

Just Perfect !! It works great with no pain :) i love it.
Sorry to have taken that much time to reply, I was quite busy lately.

Something like this _has to be put_ in an more evident place ( eg; in
the README or INSTALL file)

I've got into some small problems when installing it due to some stupid
restriction on my own in hosts.allow. Yeah I wasn't able to an ssh on
localhost :P

So my little contribution to FREENX is either a small test to help
future people do diagnose faster what I encountered with a test like this:
echo Quit | ssh -i /usr/NX/home/nx/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key \
                 -o ConnectTimeout=3 nx at localhost
which will give you back
  Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
  HELLO NXSERVER - Version 2.1.0-71 OS (GPL)
  NX> 105 Quit
  NX> 105 quit
  Quit
  NX> 999 Bye

or to add an information in case the nx_connection_test failed.
  Fatal error: Could not connect to NX Server.
  Please check your ssh setup:
  The following are _examples_ of what you might need to check.
   -Make sure \ nx\  is one of the AllowUsers in sshd_config.
    (or that the line is outcommented/not there)
   -Make sure your sshd allows public key authentication.
   -Make sure your sshd is really running on port $SSHD_PORT.
   -Make sure your sshd_config AuthorizedKeysFile in sshd_config is
    set to $SSH_AUTHORIZED_KEYS.
    (this should be a filename not a pathname+filename)
   -Make sure you allow ssh on localhost, this could come from some
    restriction of:
    -the tcp wrapper. Then add in /etc/hosts.allow: ALL:localhost
    -the iptables. add to it : iptables -A INPUT  -i lo -j ACCEPT
                              iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

Ced.
---

Cedric BRINER