[FreeNX-kNX] Client-side CUPS printing

Prakash Velayutham prakash.velayutham at cchmc.org
Thu Nov 8 20:56:48 UTC 2007

Fabian,

On Nov 6, 2007, at 6:55 PM, Fabian Franz wrote:

>> Hello All,
>>
>> If I want to document my experiences with configuring and getting
>> CUPS
>> printers from client-side to work through a FreeNX server, what will
>> be the best place to do it?
>
> First a mail would be nice so that I know what I can fix. ;-)

Nothing was needed to be changed in the FreeNX code itself, but there
were some issues with CUPS version and openssl libraries.

>> I am still grappling with Windows SMB printing through FreeNX. I
>> would
>> appreciate any help in that direction.
>
> Are you using 0.7.1? If not I would strongly recommend it, because
> 0.7.1 does support CIFS for printing and the error message seemed
> like SMB backend tried to use CIFS, but nxclient forwarded SMB port.
> And yes, there is a small difference in procool.

I just downloaded 0.7.1 and moved the FreeNX scripts over to the same
server (after taking copies of my 0.7.0-3.1 scripts, of course). I am
still having printing issues. I guess I am just being a little slow-to-
learn with the SMB/CIFS printing. Would it be possible to provide some
hand-holding here?

What should I check for in the client and server-side once the NX
connection is made with printer configured? Which port on the server
and client-side?
And what is the syntax to check for the share from command-line from
the server-side?

> Or vice versa. (CIFS 445 forwarded, but SMB tries to use 139 style)
>
> You can configure which protocol to use in node.conf IIRC else you
> need to edit nxnode and search for smb or smbfs or cifs.
>
> cu
>
> Fabian

Thanks,
Prakash